Roy’s Penn Dutch Ride 2023 – June 23 through June 26
June 23 – June 26
See this unique area of Pennsylvania from your bicycle. Experience riding on roads along with Amish buggies and Amish push scooter bikes.
We will ride routes mostly through the farmlands with leaders and members of the friendly Lancaster Bicycle Club. We will again be staying at the resort-style Bird-In-Hand Family Inn in the pool building.
The discounted cost is $150 for the room, single or double. $160 for the room for 3. $170.00 for the room for 4. The phone number to reserve is (800) 627-1910 or (717) 768-1100. For the discounted price, make your reservation under Roy’s Penn Dutch Weekend. Cancellations are accepted up to 24 hours before the first day, June 23 at no charge to you. Check in at the hotel is 3 pm and check out is 11 am. (Rooms are often ready before 3 pm and a later check-out can be requested). Bicycles can be brought to the rooms.
Hotel amenities in each room
- free wifi
- 2 queen size beds in each room
- flat screen TV
Activities at the hotel
- outdoor and indoor swimming pols, plus hot tub
- two tennis courts
- basketball court
- kid’s playground
- fitness room
- game room
- walking path on the hotel property
- mini golf on the hotel property at Water’s Edge mini golf (additional fee)
- There is an onsite theater. They will have a musical comedy called “Dear Soldier Boy”. Playing on Friday, June 23 at 7 pm and Saturday at 1 pm (717) 768-1568
- Free two hour Amish Farmland Tour given Monday through Saturday by making a reservation at (800) 665-8700
There will be a convention of model train collectors at the hotel. They are planning to set up some displays that we can see at the hotel.
Activities to do nearby if you’re not bicycling. – many are closed on Sunday
- Bird-in-Hand Farmer’s Market – next door to the hotel
- The American Military Edged Weaponry Museum—-
- The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
- Kitchen Kettle Village – a walking collection of many shops, open 9am to 5pm
- Lancaster Brewing Company – 2323 East Lincoln Hwy open from 12pm to 8:30 pm (717) 826-9595
- Dutch Wonderland – an amusement park with shows and rides- 3.8 miles (866) 386-2839
- Pickle ball courts are available at the Lancaster County Parks, the closest one is 7.7 miles, Stauffer Park. We may also get closer courts.
- Corn Maze, 4 acres from 8am to 7pm – available across the road behind the Bird- in-Hand Bakery and Cafe
- Celtic Fling concert – 24.1 miles Friday night and from 11 am on Saturday and Sunday
Wineries that have tastings
- Mount Hope Estate and Winery (717) 664-9463 – 26.1 miles from the hotel, open from 11am to 6pm – $5 for 5 wines
- Grandview Vineyard (717) 653-4825 – 24.5 miles, open 12pm to 6pm, $8 for one class of 5 wines and $10 for another class of 5 wines. If over 6 attends, make a reservation.
- Nissley Vineyards – (the route to Three Mile Island may stop here) (717) 426-3514 – 29 miles, Friday and Saturday 11am to 6pm Sunday 12pm to 5pm, $8 for 6 wines
- Waltz Vineyards (717) 664-9463 – 22 miles, open 11am to 5pm (closed Sunday), $12 for 5 wines
- The Vineyard at Hershey, (717) 944-1569, 34 miles, $8 for 6 wines, open 12 to 6pm, June 23 Colt Wilbur Band from 7pm to 10pm
- If you need more activities to choose from, I suggest that you look at this Trip Advisor
Schedule for the Weekend
- Note that all the rides will be led by leaders of the local Lancaster Bicycle Club
- Most rides will start at the back of the hotel by the sign “Tour Pickup”
- The ride classifications they use below are “Flat” no more than 5.7 grade and “Rolling” no more than an 8.1 grade.
- 3pm Bird-in-Hand short ride 14 miles, flat. After the ride, walk, or bicycle to the Bird-in-Hand Farmer’s Market next door
- 7pm Dinner at Revere Tavern – 3.3 miles away
- Two breakfast choices, Bird-in-Hand restaurant (buffet or individual menu), at the hotel property, or Bird-in-Hand Bakery and Café across the street
- 9 am Conestoga and Lapp Valley ride 27 miles, flat-
- 9:30 am Three Mile Island ride, 50 miles, rolling (Don’t worry about radiation, none there now) starting from Landisville Middle School 13.9 miles. We will stop for a wine tasting at Nissley Vineyards if most of us agree
- 9 am Northwest River Trail. Easy flat The start will be at 29 Furnace Rd, Marietta PA 21 miles from the hotel. This ride is flat and paved and the distance is 20 miles. There is also a Riverfest being held that day
- 7 pm Dinner at Conestoga Restaurant 5.3 miles away. Save some room for possible smores back at the hotel around a campfire
- Breakfast at Huckleberry’s Restaurant 2.3 miles
- 9 am Spring Garden ride 31 miles, rolling hills
- 9 am Bird-in-Hand long ride 20 miles, flat
I hope that you can join us for this memorable weekend. Non-bicycling family and friends are welcome to come along. There’s plenty of things to see and do.